Louisiana Forestry Productivity Program (FPP) - LA Dept of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF), Provides financial assistance to eligible landowners for establishing and improving a crop of trees, Maximum payment annually $10,000, Headquarters in Districts 1 – 10 and Lafayette.  Bob Odom (225) 925-4500, http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/divisions/forestry/forestmanagement/forestry-productivity-program.asp

Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) – United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), targets marginal pastureland, available to agricultural producers to help them safeguard environmentally sensitive land, Provides participants with rental payments and cost share assistance, contact local USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) or (318) 473-7734, http:www.fsa.usda.gov/dafp/cepd/crp.htm

Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) – lands in livestock or agricultural production, Establish native species, riparian buffers, herbaceous transition zone to provide good wildlife habitat, $10,000 per fiscal year, cost-share up to 75 % establishment, sign up at FSA, http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/eqip/

Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP) – all land not enrolled in other USDA programs, management or restoration of upland habitat receive priority, Cost-share up to 75% establishment, sign up at Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) local office, http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/whip/

Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP) – agricultural land containing restorable wetlands, pays 75 % restoration, easements – 75 to 100 % restoration cost and easement payments, sign up local NRCS office, http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/wrp/

Forest Stewardship Program - assists private forest landowners to more actively manage their forest and related resources, recognizes and rewards landowners making valuable contribution to LA and USA, Cody Cedotal (225) 765-2354, cedotal_c@wlf.state.la.us, http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/divisions/forestry/forestmanagement/forest-stewardship-program.asp

Partners for Fish and Wildlife - USFWS, technical and/or financial assistance for habitat restoration, Andy Dolan (337) 291-3100, http://partners/fws/gov/

Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP) – NRCS, to respond to emergencies created by natural disasters to relieve imminent hazards to life and property, serves to remove debris in streams, canals, and ditches that may threaten life or property in the event of another major storm, or to stabilize stream banks and protection levees that are damaged and may or have failed during an additional storm event.  Pays 100% of costs.  Contact local Police Jury, city/parish government office, or other sponsoring governmental organization.

Forest Health and Protection (FLEP) - LA Dept of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF), to promote sustainable forest management practices, minimum 10 acres, cost-share payments bases on 75 % actual cost, Louisiana Natural Heritage Program contact - Patti Faulkner (225) 765-2975.

Coastal Plain Conservancy - regional non-profit land trust, works with landowners to conserve and preserve natural resources, (337) 436-9401 extension 214, www.coastalplain.net

Hardwood Tree Initiative - restore floodplains by planting bottomland hardwood trees on private lands, participants will receive 50 % cost establishment and annual rental payment for 14 – 15 years, and technical assistant, sign up any time at FSA office, http://www.usda.gov/news/releases/2003/12/0402.htm

Farm Bill 2002 – Conservation of Private Grazing Land Program (CPGL) – Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), helps owners and managers of private grazing land address natural resource concerns, NRCS technical assistance, non-financial, http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/cpgl/

Farm Bill 2002 – Conservation Security Program (CSP) – (NRCS), provides payments for producers who historically have practices good stewardship on their agricultural lands, and incentives for those who want to do more, entitlement program and non-competitive, 3 Tiers Maximum annual payment Tier I $20,000, Tier II $35,000, Tier III $45,000, Contact NRCS, http://www.mnproject.org/csp/

Farm Bill 2002 – Farm and Ranch Lands Protection Program (FRPP) – helps farmers and ranchers keep their land in agriculture by providing matching funds to purchase conservation easements, NRCS, http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/frpp/

Farm Bill 2002 – Grassland Reserve Program (GRP) – helps landowners and operators restore and protect grassland, rangeland, pastureland, and certain other lands, Easement (permanent or 30 yr with all sign up costs associated provided and payments for up to 10 yrs) or rental agreement (10-yr, 15-yr, 20-yr, 30-yr at 75% of grazing value) with NRCS or FSA at any time, NRCS or FSA, http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/GRP/

Ducks Unlimited of Louisiana - contact Hugh Bateman (318) 340-1020 or hbateman@ducks.org, http://www.ducks.org/conservation/ Projects/Southern/ LAConservationPrograms.asp

The Nature Conservancy – Conservation Easements – protects land for future generations while allowing owners to retain many private property rights and to live on and use their land, at the same time potentially providing them with tax benefits, (225) 338-1040, lafo@tnc.org, http://nature.org/

Private Stewardship Grants Program – provides grants and other assistance on a competitive basis to individuals and groups engaged in local, private, and voluntary conservation efforts that benefit federally listed, proposed, or candidate species, or other at-risk species. A 10% match or through in-kind contributions is required. Contact Regional office of USFWS, http://www.fedgrants.gov/ Applicants/DOI/FWS/ES/PSGP-04/Grant.html

North American Wetlands Conservation Fund (NAWCF) – (USFWS), provides grant funds for wetlands conservation projects, 1:1 match of nonfederal U.S. dollars, Standard Grants proposals – David Buie (david_buie@fws.gov (301) 497-5970. Small Grants Program proposals – Keith Morehouse (keith_morehouse@fws.gov (703) 358-1888, http://www.fedgrants.gov/Applicants/DOI/FWS/ FA/NAWCASG-04/Grant.html

The Conservation Fund – Conservation Easements – – protects land for future generations while allowing owners to retain many private property rights and to live on and use their land, at the same time potentially providing them with tax benefits. Nick Dilks, ndilks@conservationFunds.org, (703) 908-5836.

Land Trust Alliance – “Conservation Options: A Landowner’s Guide”, booklet available by request at Louisiana Natural Heritage Program contact - Patti Faulkner (225) 765-2975.  Booklet outlines options available for protecting land per an individual’s personal situation such as 1) Want to retain title to the land  2) Want to receive compensation or 3) Want to continue to live on the land.

The Trust for Public Land (TPL) – national nonprofit organization that works with landowners, government agencies, and community groups to protect and conserve land.  Assists with land trusts, communities, and states in creating and expanding sources of public funding for land conservation.  Call (617) 367-6200 or www.tpl/org